Games are a great way to organize a group of people to work together, encourage a person to take certain actions, increase motivation, and take a fresh look at routine work. The famous example of Tom Sawyer, described by Mark Twain, shows that you can captivate others even with such a boring activity as painting a fence – if you approach the matter with imagination. Game learning technology and its application and types are clearly described in this article.
Game technologies in pedagogy “work” in a similar way. They help to present the educational process as an entertaining, interesting activity while retaining all its benefits. It is an integral part of preschool, school and even vocational education.
Game learning technologies are the ways, methods and techniques with the help of which the teacher (teacher):
- sets the situations in which students must find themselves in order to gain knowledge or practical useful experience;
- forms the circumstances that encourage students to make independent decisions – in order to then draw conclusions, work out mistakes;
- offers a choice – different social roles and “masks”, options for solving problems that allow you to better know yourself, control your behavior, more effectively cope with a complex matter;
- creates an environment for increasing motivation through the activation of imagination, “spirit of competition”, excitement, group activities.
Related Article: 11 Amazing Advances in Gaming Technology
The functionality of the teaching method
Play is the most important aspect of children’s interactive learning. It allows the child’s personality to develop more freely, revealing individuality and realizing natural abilities and inclinations. While playing, children of preschool and school-age remember more information, assimilate it better, learn to work with their rational thinking and emotions. Therefore, gaming technologies in pedagogy have many functions that can even be called missions. It:
- Motivation and self-realization. The child does not need to be forced to play. He will willingly complete the task himself, treat it responsibly. With the help of gaming technologies, you can awaken children’s interest in a useful process, entertain them and inspire them to new achievements.
- Playful pedagogical technologies place children in an environment where they must interact with other participants. A safe and interesting environment helps to overcome clamps and constraints, learn to understand others, make contact easier and not be afraid of him.
- Communication, including inter-ethnic and intercultural. Playing, it is easier for children to understand people with views and attitudes. different from their own. This helps to assimilate the general socio-cultural values of civilization.
- Therapy and correction. Using gaming technologies, it is possible to resolve a difficult situation by projecting it into an emotionally comfortable and understandable situation. Psychological and behavioral correction occurs naturally, helping students to overcome antisocial behavior, emotional trauma.
- Play techniques make it easier for the teacher to determine the inclinations, characteristics of the child’s personality. This helps to select effective educational, educational methods. Children in the game reveal themselves as much as possible, do not hide true emotions, which increases the accuracy of psychological and pedagogical diagnostics. These are also Game learning technology and its application and types.
Applying gaming technology in action
The game is useful if it is as close as possible to real-life situations. Therefore, it needs to be integrated into the educational process. Game technologies are used independently and as an element of a more general, traditional teaching methodology. They help children to more easily master the topics of academic disciplines, and it is easier for a teacher or teacher in extracurricular work to control the process and guide it.
However, you need to be able to use the method of play in order for it to have an effect. Applying such technologies in action, it is necessary:
- make plans, goals in advance and carefully develop the components of the game – images, conditions, processes, plot, communication between participants;
- set a didactic goal for the participants, but reproduce the rules only in a playful way;
- use educational material as a means of play;
- associate the result of the game with the completion of the educational task – for example, you can win by solving the exercise qualitatively or memorizing a poem;
- build a lesson according to the rules of the game – the work and behavior of students should depend on them;
- to introduce a competitive element into the educational process – it helps to translate a didactic task into a game one.
When using gaming technologies, it is important to decide whether they are relevant to a specific topic, subject of study and to keep an eye on the balance between the entertainment component and the actual study.
Types of educational games
Each gaming technology consists of separate techniques – that is, games. There are a lot of them, which allows you to flexibly choose teaching tools, combine them with didactic methods for deeper immersion in the topic. Games are as following:
- according to the students’ “resources” involved in it – games can be physical, mental, emotional-psychological, or combined;
- by the type of pedagogical process – educational, communicative, cognitive, reproductive;
- by type and method of organizing the process – questioning and testing, competition and competition, theatrical performance and dramatization game, holiday, training;
- according to the level of severity of the rules – with a predetermined framework, with conditions determined in the course of the game and improvisational;
- on the construction of the process – plot, role, subject, imitation, business.
Games can use sports equipment, objects, computer equipment or virtual space. Most often, strict rules are set for physical and intellectual forms. The free course of the process is inherent in creative types – musical, theatrical, festive. The teacher determines the specifics and additional conditions of the game, focusing on the characteristics of the students (pupils) and the material being studied.
In order to use games correctly in the educational process, special education is required. Its main areas are preschool and school pedagogy, social and pedagogical activities, teaching in primary grades. You can get such education at ANPOO “NSPK”. You can learn more about distance * programs from the college admissions staff.
Note: Tell us your opinion about Game learning technology and its application and types.
Related Article: 11 Amazing Advances in Gaming Technology