New technologies in education with values.
If there is something that has changed our lives and our habits in recent years, it has been new technologies.
The ways we shop, communicate, and engage with others are radically different than they were less than 20 years ago.
New technologies in education have changed the classroom method of learning. However, it’s risky for children and affects parenting.
New technologies in education have changed our lives, Do you want to know how they have influenced you?
To begin with, teaching activity has changed with the use of the internet or devices such as computers, mobiles, and tablets.
So, it is currently possible to use other ways of educating and different means of learning. These new ways allow technologies to focus on education towards teamwork, the critical capacity of the students, and the learning of values.
What are the new technologies in education?
It is very simple. The objective of its use is to improve and favor both teaching and teaching. We tell you how!
What characterizes them?
They combine particularities of information and communication technologies, such as speed or proximity, with those of teaching, such as learning or knowledge. That is to say they:
- Allow the scope of teaching to be expanded beyond the traditional classroom.
- Make possible new formulas for the approach of the theoretical and practical parts of the subjects.
- Increase access to education and promote interactivity.
- Invite you to continue learning and developing knowledge or to improve skills with extra content or digital books.
- Enable you to keep up to date with current data, figures, and news from around the world, and allow you to know other realities different from the environment in which you reside.
The 5 new technologies in education. Get to know them!
We live in an increasingly technological world. Chalks and notebooks are giving way to new school supplies. And that is appreciated in the classrooms. We show you some examples of it.
Paper books are heavy, it is uncomfortable to carry them daily in backpacks. Furthermore, with continuous advancements, discoveries and the hectic pace of events they soon become out of date.
Digital books avoid these problems since it is possible to read them on different electronic devices and their contents can be adapted quickly from the news that comes out.
Computers are not something new and mobiles are rarely welcome in classrooms. However, they are the ideal instrument for developing computational thinking in classrooms through programming and robotics.
The National Institute of Educational Technologies and Teacher Training has the CodeEducaLab project to promote this ability within the educational community. Get to know it!
They are the Massive Open Online Course, which helps many more people to access training and reduce the educational gap due to their characteristics. They are free, collective, allow students to freely dispose of the content, and do not require proof of access.
The well-known online learning or e-learning is something similar to the above since it also encourages access to education through the network. But, in this case, it is based on a teaching model where there is permanent communication and interaction between the teachers and students.
In many schools, it is common for parents to have such groups. They allow you to be in contact with the educational center and stay up to date on all issues. Dining room, extracurricular activities, excursions … or even student absenteeism!
The impact of new technologies on education
The use of information and communication technologies at an increasingly early age provides positive aspects such as the promotion of values or skills.
The End Child Prostitution Child Pornography and Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes (ECPAT) mention cyberbullying, identity theft, or data theft among other risks.
Educators and parents must promote responsible use of these technologies and thus reinforce the safety of minors.
As in other issues, training and prevention are vital points to avoid negative experiences in children. We have to stay alert!
However, the internet and social networks can become our allies to promote positive behaviors and prevent risk situations from occurring that violate the rights of children. Let’s see examples of it:
- Fight against digital gender violence. The Fundación Cibervoluntarios develops the program ” Stop, think, connect”. This development aims at alerting, raising awareness, and detecting situations of gender violence on the Internet among adolescents. Therefore, it has training workshops on the safe use of technologies and activities for minors, educators, and their families. The training activities for educational centers are totally free, so do not hesitate to contact and act against this type of violence.
- Protect sons and daughters from bad practices on the internet and networks. To guarantee a safe environment or to know how to proceed in the face of possible threats. Familias en Positivo offers you the guide Protect your children on the internet. For its part, Friendly Screens offers extensive material and resources such as information on the types of threats on the Internet or educational games.
- Strike a balance. It is not easy, because new technologies are gaining ground day by day. Fortunately, you have tools at your fingertips, such as the Guide for the safe and responsible use of the Internet by minors from the National Cybersecurity Institute (INCIBE).
What do new technologies contribute to education?
Values such as solidarity, respect, or equality can be fostered through new technologies in education. Let’s see how.
Access to knowledge
Years ago we went to school with books that we had to buy. And now this pedagogical resource is combined with the use of information that can be obtained through the internet, which allows access to knowledge to be easier for all.
Development of the critical sense
However, the consequence of democratization in access to information has its risks, since there is a large amount of data that has an unknown or unreliable origin. So, it is important that children learn to filter and use it. your critical sense to distinguish the information that really has value.
Critical capacity must be combined with another important value for today’s society, self-initiative, that is, the ability to create projects and carry them forward with the knowledge acquired. We will be creating proactive and responsible adults!
Along with solidarity, these are values that are promoted with new technologies. Since information is shared, virtual workgroups and forums are created where questions and answers are raised to learn together.
The role of teachers
Their role in the classroom also changes due to the application of new technologies in education. Since their work will aim at teamwork, promoting the participation of all students, posing problems so that Discussions arise about possible solutions or the inclusion of students in making important decisions in the classroom.
The teamwork that is fostered with new technologies contributes to the diffusion of another fundamental value in today’s society, which is tolerance.
When students work in groups and collaborate, an environment is created in which they learn to understand, respect, and tolerate different opinions.
New digital materials, such as audiobooks or digital whiteboards, allow students to have learning content, interact and increase their abilities.
In spite of everything, and although the school and the teaching staff play a crucial role here, this project loses much of its meaning if the work is not continued from home.
Therefore, the learning of values through new technologies can be of great support at home as long as it is aligned with the formal education that our boys and girls receive in class.
And you, how do you contribute to educating in values through technology? Have you encountered any challenges or difficulties as a father, mother, or educator? Let us know!